MSGP Fact Sheet – How to Create a Notice of Termination (NOT)
Overview: EPA’s Multi-Sector General Permit (MSGP) relies on the submission of an electronic document called an Notice of Intent (NOI) to gain coverage under its permit. If a facility is ready to terminate their NOI, they must submit a Notice of Termination.
Reasons for a facility to submit a NOT:
- The owner/operator has changed: You must submit a Notice of Termination (NOT) when you transfer control of a facility to a new owner/operator. The new owner/operator must then file a new NOI to obtain permit coverage under EPA’s MSGP. Coverage is not transferable;
- You have ceased operations at the facility and there are no longer discharges associated with industrial activity at the facility;
- You are a Sector G, H, or J facility and you have met the applicable termination requirements; or
- You have obtained coverage under an individual or alternative general permit for all discharges required to be covered by an NPDES permit, unless EPA has required that you obtain such coverage under authority of Part 1.6.1, in which case coverage under this permit will terminate automatically.
TO CREATE A NOT
- Go to https://cdx.epa.gov
- Type in your CDX User ID and Password
- Click on your associated Role located next to the NETEPAMSGP program service name to enter the MSGP application
- Make sure your Application Profile Settings are correct, click Proceed to continue
- You will be redirected to the MSGP Homepage with a list of your facilities
- To create a NOT, click on the Actions drop-down list next to the facility you want to create a NOT
- Click Create NOT (Terminate)
- A pop-up window will appear with a list of reasons for termination
- You will be asked to select one of the following reasons:
- A new owner or operator has taken over responsibility for the facility.
- You have ceased operations at the facility, there are not or no longer will be discharges of stormwater associated with industrial activity from the facility, and you have already implemented necessary sediment and erosion controls as required by Part 18.104.22.168.
- You are a Sector G, H, or J facility and you have met the applicable termination requirements.
- You obtained coverage under an individual or alternative general permit for all discharges required to be covered by an NPDES permit.
- Other (enter reason in text box)
- Select reason by clicking on the radio box next to the reason
- Click OK to continue
- A message will appear stating a Draft Notice of Termination has been created for the selected facility but still needs to be certified to finalize the NOT process
- Click OK to continue
- You will be redirected to your MSGP homepage to certify the draft NOT
- To certify the draft NOT, click on the Actions drop-down list next to the facility to which you created a draft NOT
- Click Certify Form to complete NOT process
- A pop-up window will appear
- Read Statement carefully
- Click Accept to certify and complete NOT submission
- An eSignature widget will appear
- To certify NOT, you must sign form electronically by entering your
- CDX password
- A signature answer and
- Click Sign
- A pop-up window will appear stating you have certified your form and will receive an email notification once complete
- The email notification will be sent to the email associated with your CDX account
- The email will state a NOT form was recently certified
- Email attached with a loadable PDF Copy of Record (COR)
- The facility will appear on your MSGP homepage as Terminated under Coverage Status
Additional information about CDX and MSGP can be found by clicking on the following link to the MSGP EPA NeT Support Portal - https://epanet.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/202566467. Questions about CDX should be directed to the CDX Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-890-1995). If you have questions about MSGP please feel free to send an email to NPDESeReporting@epa.gov or call 866-352-7755 between 8:00 am – 5:00 pm (EST).